Seems like my healthy diet has taken a hit these last two weeks. With Deep Fried Oreos, bowling alley pizza and admittedly, a late night McDonalds trip it has been a heavy cheat week. Thankfully most meals are still chicken or beef with a load of veggies or protein shakes/bars. So we haven’t been completely terrible to ourselves. Anyways, moving on, we have a going away party that we are attending this weekend and it is a potluck style so I thought of something that can travel well with a little boozy kick to it, and I landed on rum balls. When I was a child my mother made a batch of rum balls (with artificial non alcoholic rum) that I remember with fondness. Hers was made with chocolate graham crackers to make it a “no bake” rum ball, but I prefer make it with a chocolate cake base, as I feel they are more stable and travel better.
- 1 2/3 cups white sugar
- 2/3 cup softened butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups milk ( I used 3.25%)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- a dash of salt
- 300 ml (1 can) condensed milk
- 4 oz semi sweet chocolate
- 4 oz white chocolate
- dark or spiced rum
- chocolate sprinkles
Let’s Get Baking
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Mix butter, sugar and eggs together.
- Add milk, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and lastly flour. Mix until smooth.
- Pour your mix into a greased cake pan
- Bake 20-25 minutes (check with a toothpick, you should be able to poke and pull out a clean tooth pick if it is cooked through)
- Let the cake cool enough to handle, and crumble it all into a large bowl.
- Pour condensed milk, semi sweet and white chocolate into a microwave safe bowl. Melt in increments of 25 seconds.
- The rum amount is up to you. I used 8 oz of rum in my recipe, which is favourful enough that you know there’s rum, but you could use as little as 4 oz and as much as 12 oz. Pour your rum into the crumbled cake along with the melted chocolate mix. Fold and mix all ingredients together.
- Store in the freezer at least 20 minutes or until 30 minutes before serving